Skip to main content

In Which I Advise You on Teen Voice

This is a post in response to an article that I stumbled across written by another Australian teen, author Steph Bowe, which can be read at her blog and here, where she wrote about the do's and don't's of crafting teen voice.

I, like Steph, am a teen and it wouldn't be presumptuous to assume that I know a thing or two about teen voice. Once you get two or three years behind or beyond my age, however, things should and will get a bit off. For example, I have a younger brother whose circle has begun to howl with cries of "Yeaaaaaaah boys!" in response to anything good happening - something I've never said, personally. He's two years younger than me.

Now, very rarely do adults, writing YA, get the teen voice correct - sometimes, the odd parent with teenage kids will be able to pick up on the likes and the vocalised LOLs, but very rarely does this happen. They either pick something very outdated, or a couple years out of date - such as dope *facepalm*, or they just stick a bunch of huffs, and "whatevers" and "likes".

Listening to teen speak is a good place to start. Go sit in the food court and listen. Do not go hang around outside a school. I'll give you an example. Now, the way teens address each other varies considerably, but I'll tell you about me and my peers. Sixteen. We call each other boys, guys, babe, etc. Never girls. Never "my friends". I have a friend called Gemma and a friend with Bird as a last name. Gemma I call Gemima, Gem, Gemmyboy, Gemdogs, G. Bird, I call Bird, Birdman, Birdy, B-man. My friend Connie, I both call and write down as Ron or Ronnie. TV and movies usually dim this down because I reckon it'd get pretty damn annoying to listen to it for hours.

Now, if you've listened to real teenagers speak, go out and read some YA books and watch some movies and TV shows geared toward teenagers. You'll pick up which voices are outdated, and you'll know which characters have real teenagers behind their dialogue. Try not to make references to current bands (i.e. Katy Perry, the Bieber Beaver, and whoever else is plaguing the radio) because you will, as Steph said, date your novel really quickly. If you want to do this, however, I'd opt for the Beatles or the Stones or something - but only if your character is the type to listen to this sort of music. I, for one, am one of those kids and have 12+ friends who are the same.

If this option is available to you, run your dialogue past a teen that you know. A cousin, a niece or a neighbour. Hell, if they seem a bit hesitant, offer to pay them for their services. $10 to comb through the dialogue of the entire novel, for every draft or whatever. As a teen, I would definitely take that money.

Of course, adding ums and a helluva lot of pauses and nuances with the characters' movements will make your dialogue unpleasant to read. The same goes for too much slang, unless it's used as characterisation - I have a character who you can barely understand. But that reflects on her background and her maturity.

If you can, try and make each teenage character a little different in their dialogue. If you looked at my circle of ten closest, our speech varies greatly. I have a friend whose worst curse is "shit" and who has a very maternal approach to addressing her peers. I have another who curses at any opportunity, but it adds emotion to her words - depending on how bad her language gets, you can really tell how worked up she is. I have another friend who always has to get a reaction, so there's a "right?" or a "yeah?" or a "get what I mean?" on the end of every spiel. I have another friend who speaks very little, mostly because she churns out whatever she wants to say in as few a words as possible, which makes her very blunt - she also tells the truth without fail. If you slotted these people into a novel, their dialogue would be different, no?

Any further comments? Add 'em on the end.

Oh, and photo credit to monstermagnet on deviantart.com

Comments

  1. Hi! Thanks for the comment on my blog and for following. :) I see that you're a rather new blogger? Welcome to the blogosphere. :D

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

D'You Ever Get Those Umpteenth Draft Blues - They're Like the Mean Reds (Or, I Need to Buy HG Wells' Time Machine off Sheldon Cooper)

Say hip hip hooray for absurdly long titles. (And if you didn't catch those references, look here (at 2:50) and here ) I apologise profusely here, boyos. School has been an even greater burden that I'd ever imagined. If I want this mark I've been blabbering about, I am going to need to clone myself. Seriously. It's been a long week since I last spoke to you all and I'm afraid it may be another until I can break above the water. I'm drowning in homework, and core texts that I absolutely despise. In fact, I'm starting to look a little like this: And this glorious situation sparked me with inspiration as gracefully as lightning destroys a palm tree. Inspiration for, well, my blog. *Casts longing glance to manuscript in the corner* As I tried to straighten out my weekend to catch up on all the work I missed when I was sick this week, I realised that Saturday - my devout RETURN revisions day - was being consumed by extra reading/film viewing/art sketching for s

"In 900 Years of Time and Space, I've Never Met Anyone Who Wasn't Important Before" (Problem: Boring Lead, Riveting Supporting Cast)

I received an email the other day from a reader (who wanted to remain anonymous in this post - but we'll call her Sarah) who told me that she was having trouble getting into her protagonist, despite this being her most prominent POV. She is dynamic as many Young Adult characters are, but at the beginning she's anxious and self-doubting because she's in that adolescent phase when you realise everything you know about yourself is completely wrong and you're just starting to discover who you REALLY are. There's not much that makes her like me (or am I kidding myself?) even though I've been in the same position as her. Well maybe not exactly since this is YA SF, but as far as her emotional state goes, I've been through that. But I just feel like she should've developed more by now, and she still feels like a faceless stock character. Bildungsroman is the nature of YA above all, and that relatable trait for the protagonist is necessary. To some extent,

Have we seen the end of action-oriented YA?

Well, have we? A lot of writers struggle with balancing action and suspense with realistic development and emotion. I've received a couple emails about concerns that in writing physical struggles at the forefront, internal conflict plays second fiddle.  In many ways, characters vs. plot  or even the conflict in pleasing your readers vs. pleasing yourself. We get caught up in all the little opinions - agents condemn certain features and talk about the importance of "emotion" and issues relevant to the YA audience, and critics on sites like Goodreads can be absolutely brutal about their preferences.  We as authors have a tendency to reconsider our choices and our work in their desire to be relevant and pleasing and, well, good. But it's all about balance. And I do mean action-oriented   and not action-packed .  All plots have a sense of urgency to them, and that pacing is absolutely vital. It's important not to forgo that in the mistaken